Tionge bemoans water problems at Nankhwali CDSS

Tionge

By Tionge Gondwe


My name is Tionge Gondwe, a 13 year old. I am a form one student at Nankhwali Community Day Secondary School. English is my favorite subject apart from Science, I also like having group discussions on different topics with my friends.

When I grow up, I would like to become a nurse.

Our school is beautiful. Built in Savanna woodlands within Nankhwali village, it consists of seven school blocks including administration offices and library. There are about fifty students in our class.

We all sit on desks in pairs. At our school, we have eleven teachers who teach different subjects in all classes and Mr Kwakwala is our class teacher. I have many friends at school including Analiphia, Maureen, Eddah, Everson, Monica and Florence who are closest to me.

I live with both my parents. My father is a fisherman and my mother is a housewife. Sometimes my mother sells fish at the village market. I have two brothers and a sister.

We are lucky to have a water source at our school because water is scarce in our community. We drink water from the borehole which we share with people from other villages. It is a challenge to fetch water at the borehole because it is mostly congested with people from the community.

Recently, we have seen people digging water pipes within our school premises. I had a chance to speak to one of the people building the water pump and they said they will plant water taps at the school which has given us hope of drinking clean water. This is a good development because we have been struggling to have clean water at the school especially at girl's hostel.

There have been a spread of different diseases at the school due to shortages of water. Diseases like influenza, diarrhea, coughs and many more. Because of congestion with people from the villages, for teachers also it is difficult to come to school early because they waste more time at the borehole.

It is also difficult for us to drink adequate water when the borehole is congested with people. In rainy seasons, the place where we fetch water is full of stagnant water that can also cause diseases like malaria.

We are happy to hear from our teachers that this project is funded by UNICEF through German.

We are happy and hopeful that this project will be completed soon.

Nankhwali village is in Kasankha Bay which has a population of about Nine thousand people. The people depend on fishing apart from farming.

There is no electricity in the village. At our school, people rely on solar panels.

There is no piped water in the whole village. There are only two primary schools and our school is the only secondary school. To have piped water at our school will be a blessing. We can't wait to see the first drop of water. We will be waiting for your assistance.

Comments