Yamikani hails Malawi Scotland Partnership

Yamikani speaking during a group session

By Yamikani Mkwinda

When I heard that is should go to Lilongwe I was really excited like very excited and when we arrived   in Lilongwe we went to Golden Peacock Hotel.

I was really amazed to see everything like the rooms and room services, the restaurant and the surrounding of the place was really beautiful such type of places I have only seen in movies but this time it had came to reality which filled my heart with joy and excitement. This was a very great experience which I have never had in my life.

When we went to the conference at BICC, they put us in different groups to discuss as the youth. In the group discussions, I learnt a lot like how we can improve Malawi and how us the youth can be involved with the world like of what happens in government and how can our voice be heard.

At the conference, I asked a question for both Scottish Minister and Malawian Minister of Agriculture Joseph Mwanamveka was that how is the government helping the youth discover their talent so that they can use it for economic development in both Malawi and Scotland?

The reason why I asked was based on Malawi where youth talent most of the time isn’t used but if we check most of the youth have good talents which can help in the economy of the country for example some of the youths are good designers, why can’t we use that talent to open up factories where clothes are made so that we can export the goods and get money for the country? This can help many people get employment like they can be working in factories instead of staying idol.

Personally, I think the Malawi Scotland partnership is a good initiative because it will help some youths get employed, learn more and it will also help the two countries learn more from each other and make important decisions which will help this young generation and the future young generations and help develop the two countries and more.

**Yamikani Mkwinda is a 13 year old student from St. Michaels’ Girls Secondary School**

Comments