Song of the Girl Child

Faith
By Faith Mlombwa

I am a girl
I have rights
I have freedoms
And I know them
But I have suffer in silence

I am a girl
Educated
Young but mature
I know my rights
But I have suffer in silence

I am a girl
With all the work
As if no one can help
But I have suffer in silence

I know my rights
Although no one cared
I was like a shadow
Following its owner's directions
I had no say
I could not take action

I am now an empowered girl
I can no longer suffer in silence
I have been guided and trained
Through my education and organisations
Now I am confident

I am a girl
A leader of today, not tomorrow
Equipped to join the workforce
To develop my nation
With confidence and enthusiasm
I will join the workforce
Because I am trained
I am a confident girl

**Faith Mlombwa is a Form 2 student at St. Michael's Girls Secondary School**

Comments