Malawi Scotland Partnership Conference Boosts Frank’s Physical And Psychological State

Frank speaking at Malawi Scotland Partnership Conference

By Frank Shaka

On 28 September 2018 I was picked at my school (Mangochi Secondary School).They had come to pick me to go to Lilongwe and attend a meeting which was to happen at Bingu International Convention Center (BICC).

On our way we had a lot of fun. We reached Lilongwe around 6 o’clock in the evening; I was very surprised to be welcomed at a Hotel by the name SOGECOA GOLDEN PEACOCK which is not far away from BICC.

SOGECOA GOLDEN PEACOCK hotel is a large building with 7 storey main building and 3 storey podium building, the hotel also has 110 comfortable and most furnished rooms of different kinds. My room was very nice and had a wonderful view of the other side of Lilongwe City since I was on the 6th floor on top.

The experiences which i had in Lilongwe include I was able to see the inside of BICC for the first time in my life and I was also able to stay in one of the most well known hotels in Malawi, in spite of that I also met a lot of honorable guests from Malawi as well as Scotland.

Saturday 29th September was the day I was waiting for, me together with the Youth out loud members, we went to attend a conference at B.I.C.C. where I met the Malawi Scotland Partnership Youth Ambassador Miss Jophina Mpango and Charles Isuya an architect who is also a public speaker. 

Before we were told to go to the auditorium for the conference, we first had a meeting at the conference room where we were told to form groups. I was very happy selected to present from my group which discussed Education.

Around 10 p.m, we went to the auditorium for the conference .There was a lot of guests as well as white people and some of the guest included: The Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon and Malawi Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resources Mr Joseph Mwanamveka.
Frank speaking during group discussions
Few questions were asked to the Minister of Scotland and that of Malawi and I was one of the people who asked the Minister of Scotland and I asked him that "What is the government of Scotland doing on gender equality in Malawi for both girls and boys in relation to Bursaries in school?" The Minister answered: "The government of Scotland is working hand in hand in developing a girl child education as well as that of a boy ".

He also said that projects are supported to end gender based violence, the Minister of Scotland finished by saying: "Financially in 2018 a lot will change”.

I asked the minister because in Malawi gender inequality is practiced a lot for example nowadays a lot of concentration is with the girls and not the boys in both schools as well as other institutions. 

The conference helped me a lot in both physical and psychological state because of the conference I have known how to express my views and feelings to honorable people and it has also improved my speech politically.

The Malawi Scotland partnership which has lasted for 159 years will help Malawians in a lot of developmental issues for example it will minimize poverty, hunger and other Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and it will also improve both education, health, civil governance, water and climate as well as sustainable economic development .

** Frank Shaka is a Youth Out Loud reporter from Mangochi Secondary School**

Comments