Capital Radio boosts Zakaat’s confidence in public speaking


Zakaat showing his certificate
I was overexcited when l heard that I was going to be part of the team heading to the commercial city of Malawi, Blantyre for Day of African Child activities. I was definitely looking forward to the journey to Blantyre to do radio programs on Capital FM.

We departed in the morning on 15TH June, we took a group photo of Youth Out Loud team that was when going to Blantyre.

I was very nervous and excited at the same time to know that I will be on air at one of the most famous radio stations in Malawi, Capital FM and I will be heard around the nation from different districts.

Since it was Day of African Child, I expected the day to be good and fantastic and l expected the day to be all about children, their views and ideas.

We arrived in Blantyre and there was a huge change of weather and environment. I could feel that I have reached Blantyre City. I saw buildings that l have never seen in my life for example Malawi Broadcasting Cooperation, Independence Arch, Polytechnic, Kamuzu Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital and beautiful high ways of Blantyre.

We arrived at the Lodge where we slept in Namiwawa. It was so beautiful and great, the people welcomed us warmly and friendly, the services were perfect, the rooms were great as well it was like a paradise, the bed was so relaxing and great.

We went for rehearsals at Capital FM, on the way l saw a historical building, the first administrative building in Malawi, whenever l look I could only see magnificent buildings that beautify the city of Blantyre.

We arrived at Umoyo House opposite FDH bank on the second floor of the building. We used the elevator which was also my first time.

We were welcomed warmly at the radio, the people were all nice and friendly. We met Yvonne and Samuel Kabambe who were so nice and good. We did rehearsals on what to do, what ideas to discuss and themes pertaining to Day of African Child and Kids and Technology. We also practised how to present news on the radio.

On 16th June, we presented a program on radio. The four of us were split into two groups, I was with Wongani and Faith was paired with Frank. Frank and Faith did their programs from 2pm -4pm in Chichewa while me and Wongani did our program from 4pm-6pm in English.

It was great and l enjoyed myself being on the radio and it was very fun and interesting. The presenters and producers at the radio were friendly and nice. After the programs we received certificates from Capital FM certifying that we were awesome on radio. We took photos of every step of all activities that took place and they will be published in the newspaper.

I find my journey to Blantyre as an adventure because l got to explore new places and new ideas and many things that I will not forget and it will continue helping me in my education since learning never ends.

This day has really boosted my confidence in public speaking because l will continue from where l was.

** Zakaat Sambo is form a 3 student at Mpondasi Community Day Secondary School**

Comments