My experience at Timveni - Maya Sangala

Maya with Matilda in the studio
By Maya Sangala

On 21st May, I was introduced to Timveni Child and Youth Media Organization team where I learnt and understood the different roles that each person plays in their respective offices.

In the morning, I was given a warm welcome and participated in the newsroom’s editorial meeting where I listened to everyone present their ideas and viewpoints of certain issues that they felt needed to be discussed and/or dealt with.

After the morning meeting, I went around the office to see the different rooms and meet everyone who works there and understand what position they play in the office.

There were rooms for recording TV/radio shows, for making calls and general meeting rooms.

While touring the office, I also got to meet everyone and get to know where they specialize in.
Maya and Matilda
Later on during the day, I was able to experience what it is like to be live on radio. I went into On Air Studios with Matilda Zulu.

I listened and watched Matilda host “The Bridge” radio show which airs every weekday from 11 am to 1 pm. Matilda talked about what was “hot and trending” and her opinion on it and there was no script, all off the top.

Then came English news bulletins with Ezelina Kamaliza. The news was followed by latest sports news with Bright Buju Kanyama. Ezelina “hosted” him and he delivered all the latest sports news he had.

I learnt how the mixer works, how to control the microphone and headphones and how Virtual DJ software works on the computer.

I also got the privilege of going into Studio B and witnessed Jecina conducting an interview over the phone. She took the interview both in English and in Chichewa.

Later on during the day, I was able to watch and listen to Jecina present live on Television. She also showed me how it all worked and I saw how the green screen was changed.

Right at the end of the day, I was able to take a voice recording of myself reading out a news report. 

One was recorded onto the tablet and for the other one; I was recorded in one of the studios which was a great experience for me!

The report was used in the evening news bulletin on 21 May 2018.

**Maya Sangala is a 15 year old student at Bishop Mackenzie**

Comments