Mphatso Chimfuti shares World Children’s Day broadcasting experience

My name is Mphatso Chimfuti , I was born on 15th February 2002 and I am the last in a family of four children. Currently am in form four at Mangochi Secondary school. I am a presenter of Youth Out loud and also I was trained as a reporter.

Mphatso Chimfuti 
I had a chance to read news on Zodiak Broadcasting station both Chichewa and English. At first I read the morning Chichewa news summary and evening English news bulletin on radio and Television respectively.  Concerning Youth out Programme, l had a chance to interview a nurse who works at Chilani drug store concerning the re-admission policy and other challenges which boys and girls face when they are adolescents and how they handle them.

What l liked most during the world Childrens Day was that l met different people who encouraged me to work hard in my studies and also l was very glad because appearing on Television reading news was my first time and l was the only one in my school who did the amazing job. Not only that but l also visited places where l have never been before like capital hotel, Timveni Child and Youth media Organization and Zodiak Broadcasting station.

World Children’s Day is very important to us as youth because as of me, I proved other people wrong who thought that girls cannot excel in education by the courage l showed as a girl to read news on radio and TV. It also helped me to talk to other people who are excelling in life on how to accomplish my goals.

The experience l had, has made me feel that everything is possible for girls to fulfill their dreams by working hard and having passion for it. Seeing many females in media sector made to believe that l can make it despite the circumstances am facing.  

Mphatso (Right) with Youth Out Loud co-presenter Blessings
Doing radio programme again would be very interesting because it will help me polish up for the career am preparing for. It will also help youths to make out their views concerning issues that affect them and also finding solutions from our community leaders, religious leaders, teachers, parents just to mention a few. This will bring benefit to the youth who listen to Youth Out loud as they will be able to find solutions for the challenges they face.


Radio is very important because it helps us to know the current affairs, for entertainment and also alerting us in terms of disasters. As for us youth it is very important because other youth do not know where to report if their rights have been violated and when they have been abused. So radio helps us to hear such stories and where to report when something goes wrong and what to do next after reporting the issue.

The important thing when a radio programme is to have confidence and courage. Passion for the programme is also important because one can deliver the required messages clearly. Next time if l will be doing a radio programme, l will make sure that l have more confidence and passion for the listener to get the right information and making them eager to listen to the programme every time.

The experience l have is helping me to work hard so that l can reach further beyond my dreams. It is also helping me to be courageous enough and make my views in class without any fear.

My vision is that l hope many youth will be motivated with the work l will be doing in future on addressing them on different issues as a journalist and also being a role model to other young girls who think that education is not a key to their betterment.

Lastly l would like to thank Timveni with support from UNICEF for the encouragement to the youth because this will help us to go further with education thereby having a better Malawi and also become useful tool for the development of our country.

Comments